Where will it (and we) go next?

We motored to Welcome Harbour on Wednesday afternoon from Prince Rupert and feel welcome indeed among its many islands and islets! No rain, no fog, and no wind meant that the journey was easy and peaceful. As we traveled, I began re-learning about the meanings of various buoys and markers using a very useful “slide rule” tool, and I will use it to review the rules of right-of-way at sea later on.

The thermostat appears to be SOMEWHERE in Canada, having been shipped from Seattle and then traveling to Los Angeles, to a city NEAR Los Angeles (to spend a few days relaxing), to Denver, CO, to Toronto, Canada, and now to?? Because this Friday is Canada Day, after which follows the weekend and then the July 4 holiday, we don’t expect the thermostat to arrive at its destination in Prince Rupert until this coming Tuesday at the earliest. As a result, we are anchored in silky, steely-gray water beneath a swoop of gray sky as the tide lowers and golden brown, weedy rock wrappings are revealed along the wooded, grassy shores of the bay.

Low tide beneath cloudy skies at about 9:30 pm in Welcome Harbour

We aren’t sure how long we will stay at anchor in this spacious, quiet spot. Spring sprang briefly while we were docked in Prince Rupert, but largely sun-free, rain-free, wind-free weather with highs around 60 is forecast for the upcoming seven days. While we’re here, I will read and write emails, listen to bird music and enjoy the beauty around us, keep things “ship-shape,” do a little repair sewing, and make blog posts that include a photo or two, and Walt will read and perhaps write a little, work on Coracle’s Honda outboard motor, patch a hole in our inflatable fender-step (stepping on it gives you a useful boost up onto Braesail’s deck from docks below), and perhaps tinker with the fridge while we wait for the thermostat to arrive (from the Yukon, perhaps?)–it’s not keeping food very cold (fridge 39 F. and freezer about 24 F.) despite being on its coldest setting. Walt downloaded a number of videos (mostly boating-related) while we were in Prince Rupert for us to enjoy as “bedtime stories.” Eventually, we will head toward Ketchikan again; it’s Thursday, June 30, and we left Anacortes three months ago today!

3 thoughts on “Where will it (and we) go next?

  1. At the rate it’s going, you’d be faster sailing down to LA to pick it up IRL, then out to Hawaii and back up. Next year!

    Was this a purchase on eBay, by chance? eBay Global Shipping packages to Canadian addresses go from their origin, out to Erlanger, Kansas (always); then via UPS (usually, which is second in suckage only to PuroLater) out to Toronto and back to Vancouver.

    When we replaced the frame on Karen’s Softride, it came from somewhere around southern OR/northern CA. The route was something like Eugene->New Mexico->Erlanger->Niagara->Toronto->Calgary->Vancouver, and it took about 12 days to get here, which is far longer than it would take to bike (walk, even) down and pick it up. Would have almost, ALMOST been faster to go down, pick it up, and quarantine for 14 days, given that it was in 2021. Her challenge is to ride as many miles on that bike as it the frame took to get to her.


    1. Your dad ordered the thermostat directly from Fisheries Supply in Seattle, and then off it went on its journey around the continent. We have had no tracking update since Thursday. The guy at the Cow Bay Marina, who is supposed to receive and hold it, says it might arrive this coming Wednesday, given the holiday weekend and all.


  2. This is what happens when late capitalism takes something from the commons which we all should be able to enjoy (like a functional postal system on both sides of the border) and semi-privatizes it. I think that the proper economic term is De-Joy, in this case. On an express mail package, with a promised deliver In a little over a week from Seattle, it spent three days in the system before it left Seattle, then a day in LA, two days in Long Beach, then another day at LAX, before two days in Denver. It arrived in Toronto on the 28th, and has been in at least two different facilities, and with Canada Day, I wouldn’t expect it to leave Toronto until Monday. At best, it should get out of YVR on Monday, up to Prince George in time to be sorted for Prince Rupert on Tuesday, and out to the dock on Wednesday. That should let us leave before I fall into another department and have to ask for an extension on Braesail’s travel permission.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s