We motored to Welcome Harbour on Wednesday afternoon from Prince Rupert and feel welcome indeed among its many islands and islets! No rain, no fog, and no wind meant that the journey was easy and peaceful. As we traveled, I began re-learning about the meanings of various buoys and markers using a very useful “slide rule” tool, and I will use it to review the rules of right-of-way at sea later on.
The thermostat appears to be SOMEWHERE in Canada, having been shipped from Seattle and then traveling to Los Angeles, to a city NEAR Los Angeles (to spend a few days relaxing), to Denver, CO, to Toronto, Canada, and now to?? Because this Friday is Canada Day, after which follows the weekend and then the July 4 holiday, we don’t expect the thermostat to arrive at its destination in Prince Rupert until this coming Tuesday at the earliest. As a result, we are anchored in silky, steely-gray water beneath a swoop of gray sky as the tide lowers and golden brown, weedy rock wrappings are revealed along the wooded, grassy shores of the bay.
We aren’t sure how long we will stay at anchor in this spacious, quiet spot. Spring sprang briefly while we were docked in Prince Rupert, but largely sun-free, rain-free, wind-free weather with highs around 60 is forecast for the upcoming seven days. While we’re here, I will read and write emails, listen to bird music and enjoy the beauty around us, keep things “ship-shape,” do a little repair sewing, and make blog posts that include a photo or two, and Walt will read and perhaps write a little, work on Coracle’s Honda outboard motor, patch a hole in our inflatable fender-step (stepping on it gives you a useful boost up onto Braesail’s deck from docks below), and perhaps tinker with the fridge while we wait for the thermostat to arrive (from the Yukon, perhaps?)–it’s not keeping food very cold (fridge 39 F. and freezer about 24 F.) despite being on its coldest setting. Walt downloaded a number of videos (mostly boating-related) while we were in Prince Rupert for us to enjoy as “bedtime stories.” Eventually, we will head toward Ketchikan again; it’s Thursday, June 30, and we left Anacortes three months ago today!