September 1, 2017: Some sailing at long last!

Another tranquil night was followed by another brilliantly sunny day, and at about 10:30 am, after a bagel breakfast and Morning Prayer, we hoisted our anchor (Walt had to remove two little golden stow-away sea stars who were clinging to the chain) and motored along Buccaneer Bay’s driftwood-decorated ivory ribbons of sandy beach,

Buccanneer beaches
Beach and driftwood at Buccaneer Bay with houses along the shore at left

past  numerous houses in many styles and then the vigilant white- cliff bay-guardians with their heads sporting somewhat shaggy and uneven woodsy crew cuts,

Buccaneer Bay beach and cliffs
Leaving Buccaneer Bay; note the white cliffs toward the center of the photo

and out into the Strait of Georgia. There was just enough wind from the right direction to justify the raising of our sails, and we were able, for the first time in many weeks, to journey under wind power alone, albeit rather slowly, for somewhat over an hour with only gentle breezy-watery sounds to disturb the stillness–hearty cheers! When the wind died down and changed direction and we were able to travel at only about 1.5 kts., we lowered the sails, started the engine, and motored on between Texada Island and Lasqueti Island toward Jedediah Island Marine Provincial Park. As we turned into Sabine Channel, I noticed, not far away, the dark head of a seal, surrounded by red-stained water, rising out of the depths, and I could see that the seal had a large, flailing fish in its jaws that was going to be its lunch. Immediately a seagull arrived and circled overhead, hoping to find some scraps out of which to make its own meal–bon appetit!

We arrived at shadowy, sheltered Deep Cove on Jedediah Island at about 1:30 pm, but decided that it was simply too small to accommodate Braesail comfortably, and so we moved on to nearby White Rock Cove, a warm, radiant place with a cozy, comfortable feeling,

White Rock Cove evening
White Rock Cove in evening light; rafted boats at left, waxing gibbous moon  above the trees at center

where the water was shallower, but where there was plenty of room to stern tie, and where there were only three other boats, two of them rafted together. It took us more time than it should have to tie Braesail’s stern to a madrona tree above the rocky shore because the second half of the line became crossed over and tangled with the first half, but this was remedied and within a little over an hour our anchor was in place and the stern line was also, we’d eaten some quesadillas, Walt was asleep, and I was lounging in the sunny cockpit, listening to the liquid music of wavelets lapping the boat and the shore, enjoying the breezes’ soft caresses, and beginning to write this post.

We spent a very leisurely late afternoon in this comfortable, inviting cove, napping and reading and basking in the beauty around us. After chips-and-dip “happy hour,” I read some articles in Pacific Yachting Magazine and reviewed the use of current and tide tables to see how strongly and in what direction currents are running at specific places at certain times on particular days, and to see how much the water level will rise and fall (higher high, lower high, higher low, and lower low tides) in a specific place and at what times on particular days. We shared a splendid salmon supper as the sun began to set (at around 7:30 pm now as opposed to 10:30 when we first set out from Everett in mid-June), and I performed KP duties while Walt visited with the folks on the boat stern tied next to ours–he was hoping that they would have a current table with the correct September 2017 page that our table is missing, but they did not. Tea and chocolate chip cookies were our late dessert, and after a short time spent star-gazing on Braesail’s moonlight-bathed deck, I made my way to bed; tomorrow will be a long motoring trip to Gambier Island near Vancouver where we plan to meet Martin and two of his sailing friends on Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s