July 18, 2017: A two-person crew for Braesail

A sunny, slightly chilly morning greeted us, and after taking a shower I joined Joy and Walt at the table in the saloon. Walt was still trying do decide what to do about the non-functional anchor windlass and was awaiting further information from various sources in Campbell River about costs and availability. At about 10:30, we were climbing out of the boat when I asked Joy if she had her insulin (kept in the fridge), and she didn’t! We tried to find the little ice pack with which she cools the insulin (it needs to be kept at low temperatures) in our freezer, but it was neither there nor in the fridge. We went on our way, hoping that the insulin would still be useful when Joy would need it.

The taxi we’d ordered met us on the shore above the marina office at 11 am, and about 15 minutes later we were at the small but attractive Campbell River Airport, decorated with huge hanging flower baskets and with various items based on themes common in Haida art. We helped Joy with her roller bag, and she was entering the boarding area by 11:50 for her 12:20 pm flight to Vancouver, BC, where our son Martin would meet her and spend some time visiting before her connecting flight to San Francisco. I felt sad at our parting, knowing that I will miss her–we three had had such a marvelous time together since Joy joined our journey on July 2!

At the Campbell River Airport, July 18

Walt and I immediately found a taxi outside the airport and were soon back near the Discovery Harbour docks and shopping area where we consumed a fish-and-chips lunch at a pub. Walt  found most of the small items he needed for Braesail at a marine supply store, bought coffee (the one absolutely essential food item on his list!) at Starbucks, and then located a place at which he could get a much-needed haircut. I carried his purchases back to the boat, picked up some shopping bags, and met Walt outside the hair salon so that we could purchase at the SuperStore the last provisions that we needed for our upcoming two weeks on the boat. While shopping, however, the neuroma on the ball of my left foot began to send stabbing pains into my toes, my right hip started to ache, and my intestinal system began to object to something I had sent its way. So I found a ladies’ room, and then followed Walt, carrying two of our three loaded grocery bags, to a table outside Starbucks where I could sit and rest for a while. He bought me an iced tea and then hiked over to a Canadian Tire store to buy some weather stripping to use on the door of Braesail’s fridge (it allows too much air in and out and increases our electricity usage). By the time he returned, I was feeling better and was able to carry all the grocery bags to the boat while Walt picked up some items at an electronics store.

We were both back on the boat by about 4 pm, stowing our purchases and catching up on email, receiving information about the windlass, and then taking naps in the aft cabin. Due to various factors, Walt decided to purchase a new windlass for about $2600, which he should have on Wednesday morning, and to install it in Braesail’s bow himself if it will fit (he has been assured that it will–we shall see!). He was finally able to separate the old motor (the source of the break-down) from the winch, and tomorrow plans to remove the old assembly entirely, install the new one, and save the old one to see if he might be able to repair it this fall for possible sale. I felt rather discouraged at the prospect of having to spend yet MORE money on failed equipment, but am hoping that Braesail will be fit for chartering next year and will bring us a little money with which to offset all the expenses we’ve incurred.

For dinner, Walt added shrimp to the excellent leftover seafood gratin that we brought back from Monday night’s dinner, and then I wrote this blog entry and took this picture of the sunset painting the harbor’s sky in violet, rose, and gold before trundling off to bed.

Discovery Harbour at Campbell River

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s